Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lost Moon

Remember that moment when Apollo 13 astronauts realized their problem would cause them to miss their moon landing? It was a lot like that tonight at the public hearing on sewers for Masullo Estates. It is highly likely that we will miss another season to achieve necessary drainage and road work. The referendum for the sewer extension will not occur until June 10th if the Town Board determines the sewer initiative should proceed. That scenario, coupled with increasingly less reliable road reconstruction estimates previously obtained and dependence on ACOE permissions to Helderberg Meadows could conceivably delay any other planned work by 6 months…and that was best case. It was gut-wrenching to witness the realization sweeping through attendees as the hearing progressed. But like the hope and determination that ultimately saved Apollo 13, we intend to persist in our efforts. There is one glimmer that could still turn things around.

Mr. Mertz, our champion from Day One, is still our strongest advocate. To him, we are grateful. We could’ve been easily abandoned.

I’m tired. My notes are in the car and I failed to remember my digital recorder. Perhaps after news reports, I’ll provide my version of the meeting. In short summary, the room was packed. At least a dozen residents expressed reservations or outright disapproval and many important questions were posed. No one spoke in favor but I won’t jump to the conclusion that there isn’t anyone who would vote ‘yes.’ Want to know how I weighed in? Catch the taped replay until I post a transcript of my remarks.

No comments: