Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 Years

After seven years, the sadness of 9-11-01 hasn’t paled. I often reflect on memories of the people I knew that perished in the towers that day, but the anniversary always seems to stir emotions I’d rather leave unstirred. Having worked previously at the WTC myself, I had a special fondness for hanging out there on my periodic visits back to the exchanges. I still can’t believe it’s gone. It took me several years to revisit the site, by then just a huge hole in the ground. The expanse of the void was overwhelming. I haven’t returned.

Many fine people were lost in the attack. Like Michael, at his usual breakfast meeting at Windows on the World. Like Val, at her Cantor trading post on the uppermost floors. Too many good people gone in an eye blink. I hope you will please take a moment to reflect on all the lives lost and offer a simple prayer on their behalf. Then too, remind yourself how precious and fragile this life is (because it’s easy to forget), and remember to cherish every single minute of it.

No comments: