Thursday, November 29, 2007

25 or 6 to 4

2005 saw four candidates square off for two town board seats and the winners posted vote tallies of 4974 and 4930 respectively. Combined votes cast for all four totaled 17,542. Big #. Big dogs.

Mr. Mertz put up 4974. Previously, he mustered over 7000 votes in winning a special election against Mr. Cooke.

Mr. Signore put up 4930. He previously defeated Mr. Constantino for Supervisor, followed by two narrow losses to Mr. Paolino.

These two guys are bona fide vote getters and they do it in impressive fashion. These two guys are also the next ones up for re-election.

So the question becomes, Can I run with the big dogs? I’m always a believer but I don’t kid myself either. This is a potential mountain to overcome, so I’ve got my work cut out for me if I choose to throw in.

A five candidate field will likely dilute the necessary # of votes to win (assuming I’m a legitimate 5th threat) but I think it wise to plan to secure 5000 votes in order for me to emerge victorious.

If I’m going to get trounced, I couldn’t have picked a better opportunity than against these capable opponents, and that says nothing of who the Democrats might run.

A true test though. My decision will require careful consideration. I’ve been told it can’t be done. Not my way anyway. And even if it can, will it matter? Big questions for a little dog.

No comments: