Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 Resolutions

Resolutions. We all make new ones every year…or make the same old ones new again anyway. I make several personal resolutions for myself every year with varying degrees of success. I don’t let failure stop me from continuing to try and I would encourage everyone else to adopt the same approach.

I’ll share one resolution that I think ought to be on everyone’s list: Listen better. What exactly does that mean? For me, it will mean listening first, before speaking. Not interrupting someone else speaking to have my say. Listening means more than hearing. We all hear, but we don’t all listen. I have always been a poor listener and I intend to be a better one with each passing day of this new year and beyond.

Most of my resolutions are aimed at making me a “better person.” That’s selfish, I guess. Perhaps I should add a “don’t be selfish” resolution…maybe next year. Anyway, trust me that the real beneficiary of any progress I make on my resolutions is the unfortunate individual that has regular interaction with me to begin with. I just hope their resolution is “to be more tolerant.”

So take a moment to reflect honestly. Don’t waste time beating yourself up for shortcomings. Instead, resolve to do something to improve them. If you fail, don’t give up. Effort has value.

2008 is a promising year. Make it a rewarding one too. Good luck!

No comments: