Friday, July 18, 2008

Outsider

I attended the Duanesburg Planning Commission meeting last night, my particular interest being the first wind turbine project to be considered since their new ordinance was adopted. Of course, Rotterdam is in the process of adopting similar legislation so I thought it’d be educational for me.

Before I get to that, I’d like to make some observations about the Duanesburg Planning Commission dynamic. I was very impressed with their entire handling of the agenda, one which was chock full by the way. The meeting lasted 3 hours, with the wind turbine evaluation coming nearer the end and lasting 45 minutes in itself.

As most know, I’ve been a critic of our own Town of Rotterdam Planning Commission more often than not, and I didn’t expect Duanesburg to be much different. So I was pleasantly surprised to see open government in action. All the members seemed well-prepared on every project, asked thoughtful questions and offered useful suggestions to the applicants. It was clear to me that each member had some particular expertise and qualification to consider the various projects. They also made use of an overhead projector for attendees to be able to see plans which I appreciated. The most impressive aspect though was that all the discussion took place during the meeting – out in the open. In other words, there was no closed door executive session where things get decided in the dark. They also seemed to have an acute appreciation for SEQR and segmentation, which is usually a significant concern of mine as well.

The wind turbine application didn’t disappoint me either. To date, I’m still forming my opinion on the feasibility of wind power, but my immediate concern regarding wind turbines is that they are properly regulated. The applicant was a knowledgeable and informed applicant and the new ordinance seemed pretty well understood by the commission too. It got interesting when it was determined that the project would not satisfy the setback in some regards. It was a difference of some 15 feet or so and it looked like they may have encountered a stumbling block. Given the actual circumstances of the setback shortfall it seemed appropriate to grant a waiver but I could sense the reluctance to undermine the new ordinance right out of the gate. However, in this case, the turbine is being mounted on an already existing tower so the waiver was more than appropriate, I think. I’m sure everyone hoped they’d have a more straightforward project but I think the wrinkles of this case was actually a great first test…and the commission handled it superbly. I’m looking forward to what transpires at the public hearing.

1 comment:

Rene' said...

I have forwarded your blog to all on the Planning Board. Their job is difficult and they do not receive enough gratitude for the time they spend. They will appreciate your remarks a great deal Michael, thank you. We have worked very hard to make our boards helpful, responsive, simple, and open. Applicants to the board forget that these people are their neighbors and basically volunteer their time. They receive $25 per meeting. This barely covers their transportation back and forth, site visits, and doesn't begin to cover their time. New State regulations require Planning and Zoning Board members to complete 4 hours of training per year. Most of our members of both boards complete well in excess of the 4 hours. Many of the members can be found at seminars from Rhinebeck to Saratoga and Albany to Oneonta representing D'burg. Usually on their own dime. We require applicants to have ALL required paperwork and information in 10 days prior to the meeting or they will not be placed on the agenda. This allows time for the board members to pick up and review the files prior to the meeting. It used to be, the members would come in and not have any idea what was on the agenda. They would look at files for the first time on the night of the meeting. It wasn't pretty. As for executive session? I have never seen the Planning Board go into exec. session in the eight years I have been around. Anyway, I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear a compliment for a change. Thank you so much. Rene'