Saturday, August 2, 2008

Change

It seems that Change is now the new buzz word for every single candidate for office from the national to the local level. I’m giving the credit to Barack Obama for starting it, though President Bush is probably the most deserving catalyst. When Hillary Clinton realized her approach wasn’t working, she tried unsuccessfully to reinvent herself as a candidate of change. Even John McCain has adopted the mantle of change in his campaign rhetoric.

It didn’t stop there. Candidates of every ilk on the local level are casting themselves in the garb of change too. The most memorable is Assemblyman Amedore who invokes, “Change is Coming.” Let me know when it arrives because I’d love to see it. Speaking of Mr. Amedore, I noticed he’s also using a slogan of “Promises made, promises kept.” I thought he ran last time on a platform to lower my property taxes and prevent Thruway tolls from rising? I’m pretty sure he didn’t succeed on that score in his short time in office, so now instead of promising change, we’re getting a promise that change is coming. I’m not reassured.

But thankfully, some things never change. For instance, the quality of music that The Police produced last night at SPAC was as good as it was 25 years ago when they last graced the stage. Elvis Costello wasn’t too shabby either. And after shelling out for tickets, beer, water, coffee, and a souvenir T-shirt, I had no change.

No comments: