Tuesday, February 19, 2008

More Molding

Do not attempt to adjust your sets. The message about to be conveyed is not recommended for those with faint hearts. Please contain your bewilderment and muffle your screams. The Rotterdam Planning Commission did a nice job at their meeting tonight.

No, you haven't entered the Twilight Zone and I haven't lost my mind. It's a well-known fact that I am generally not a fan of the Planning Commission and have given them a fair share of criticism. However, I want to acknowledge good government too when I am fortunate to bear witness to it.

Tonight I accompanied some of our promising youth to the meeting. It was a full agenda with quite an array of projects in various stages of review. It was ideal, in fact, for the purpose of grasping the Planning Commission's function.

I thought I'd function as an interpreter of sorts. But Chairman DiLallo recognized the students' presence right away, acknowledged it, and proceeded to provide them with one of their detailed packets so they could better understand what was transpiring. He didn't stop there either. Throughout the meeting he explained some of the more technical aspects, such as SEQR, and their importance to the ultimate decision rendered. There was a concerted effort by all participants to make their comments understandable. I must say I was impressed.

Good job, tonight Planning Commission!

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming...

No comments: