Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday Musings

Eli scrambles…throws…touchdown…the Giants win…the GIANTS WIN! Oh sorry…wrong day.

If you’re registered in a party, it’s time to go to the polls to select presidential candidates. Whoever your preferred candidate may be, I encourage you to go have your say.

Like many of you, I’m not thrilled with my remaining choices necessarily but I’ve seen worse fields. I’m a Republican who came of voting age during Reagan’s rise. I liked Nixon. I liked Goldwater. But after formative years of seeing issues in black or white, I’ve slowly relinquished my far-right stance and slid toward the middle. It’s a function of age, I think. Like I’ve stated before, many issues along with their associated solutions, are gray.

I believe in smaller government. Way smaller. On every level. I want the tax code thrown out and rewritten. I want a return to fundamental constitutional government. Most that concur, however, concede it’ll never happen. People clamor for change but then fail to embrace it when an opportunity to realize it comes along. I’m talking about real change, not the kind being paid lip service to by Republican and Democrat candidates alike.

I have always really liked McCain. But he’s not the maverick independent he previously was and I just can’t get excited about his presidency. His time has passed, I think. I thought another favorite of mine, Giuliani, would garner my support but he faded prematurely. A true leader not to be. Romney… Huckabee…not for me.

I find myself being drawn to Ron Paul in the way I was drawn to Ross Perot. Of course, conventional wisdom tells us he doesn’t stand a prayer. Nonetheless, he’s likely to capture my vote later today. Some will say I wasted my vote but the reality is he’s the candidate with views closest to mine.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/

I think the Democrats are likely to win the White House no matter who the Republicans field. I love the idea of a woman for president. I don’t think Clinton is the right woman but she’s competent and intelligent enough. Not to my liking but we could do a whole lot worse. I am intrigued by Obama though. He is passionate, dynamic, and charismatic. He seems to offer a fresh approach. I could potentially see myself pulling the lever for him but I’ve got to do my homework and examine the meat on his bones.

If only Eli was running…

No comments: