Thursday, April 24, 2008

Replay

I thought I’d begin simply by posting a copy of the remarks I made last night at the public hearing on the sewer district extension for Masullo Estates. Others in attendance raised many other important questions so I’d encourage you to try to see the taped replay on TV.


4-23-08 PUBLIC HEARING
SEWER DISTRICT EXTENSION PROPOSAL

Thank you for this public hearing finally.

I thought I’d try to keep my comments limited to the actual sewer district issue best I could. I’ll try not to stray too far into peripheral issues which are certain to creep in despite my best efforts, but I feel I’ve spoken to many of them already in recent weeks anyway.

Prima facie, this sewer district extension proposal looks attractive on economic terms. Bond retirement costs are no doubt as low as could be hoped for if coupled with planned road reconstruction. But looks can be deceiving.

I love building infrastructure. I don’t mind paying to do so either. But unfortunately, this sewer district extension proposal disproportionately burdens some homeowners in the anticipated district; specifically, those that live along E. Lucille Lane, of whom I am one, who will be required to install grinder pumps at their own expense in order to connect to the line.

I’ve obtained estimates of grinder pump installation, and its cost prohibitive just to install, let alone maintain. The estimates so far range anywhere from $3000 to $10,000. Include the amortization of those numbers and economically, for those affected, the proposal begins looking unattractive.

Already, my personal feeling is that I’ll be defraying Helderberg Meadow costs since that is the driving force of this sewer initiative. On top of that, I’m expected to subsidize the cost of the line for the rest of the homeowners not required to install grinder pumps. Also, I’d be assuming a likely grinder pump maintenance headache that I currently don’t have and don’t really desire. Lastly, sewers open additional acres of land to development that are currently prohibited from development. Those landowners stand to benefit disproportionately from this sewer proposal.

Unless I hear someone else make a compelling case in favor, my predisposition is to pull the lever against approval of the sewer district extension for Masullo Estates. If approved, I won’t connect, until forced to do so.

As desirable as sewers may be, let’s remember this in proper context of what we as residents originally sought. We need road reconstruction and drainage relief. Sewers were an add-on consideration, not a priority, nor a desire. The high water table is the underlying issue responsible for our dilemma and no matter how you slice it, sewers to replace septic only nominally, if at all, alleviate it. It’s simply not a material impact to the groundwater issue.

I’m against the sewer proposal to extend the district as it stands and urge the Town Board to reject it and proceed solely with the road reconstruction and drainage elements previously planned for posthaste.

No comments: