Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Real Change

Everyone is talking about bringing change to government. After subjecting myself to the propaganda coming out of both conventions and the incessant media follow up, I’ve reinforced my belief that “change” has lost its meaning. Like every good catch phrase, I suppose it was inevitable. On the local level, the phrase Smart Growth met a similar fate.

Every campaign seems to be a show of some kind. The conventions certainly lost their political relevance years ago and today are no more than very expensive political theater. Theater that we pay for by the way, and could do without, in my opinion. Of course, the media keeps the drama ratcheted up through a constant offering of provocative sound bites by second tier party operatives. I yearn for a more concise election process focused on the issues. I realize I won’t get it though and maybe it never existed.

No comments: