Monday, March 24, 2008

Caught in a Web

I just got finished looking at the Town of Rotterdam’s website and am slightly disappointed by the lack of useful updating. I was happy to see that past 2008 agendas are finally being uploaded but there are no “minutes” as one might hope and expect, and can be found on other town websites. I remember the Supervisor making mention of the possibility of having cd’s of the meetings available and wonder if progress has been made on that initiative. Also, I noticed that the latest newsletter upload is the inaugural one from May 2007. I seem to remember at least one other that I received in the mail that doesn’t appear yet. The Planning Commission agenda for the meeting that took place March 18, 2008 has yet to appear too.

Positively, the town directory seems adequate and several links are of particular usefulness. They include the school links, the library link, the real property database, and the sex offender registry. Other useful data can be found under Important Notices where a land use study appears along with an EIS and budget links.

Overall, the website is improving but is still lacking in providing critical information, such as the town code. I hope that’s something that will be added. I’ve suggested in the past that it may be worth investigating having a student intern provide the support necessary to keep the website updated.

No comments: