Saturday, March 8, 2008

Visions II

I HAVE A VISION of the Town of Rotterdam being even greater than it is. I wouldn’t live here otherwise. It starts with an adequate Comprehensive Plan.

I HAVE A VISION of the needs of residents coming first. A vision where resident concerns are not made subservient to developer desires. This is derived and accomplished from adherence to the Comprehensive Plan.

I HAVE A VISION of economic growth in the Town complimenting and enhancing our Quality of Life, not dictating and overriding it. That involves decision-making that considers long-term impacts as carefully as short-term benefits.

I HAVE A VISION where taxes do not have a stranglehold on residents. We can control the tax burden we impose by demanding more efficiency from our tax dollar from those charged with allocating it. We need to accept we can’t have everything today and yes, some services will likely be seriously curtailed. I believe there is an acceptable happy medium to be realized that results in lower tax burdens and sufficient important services. To some degree, responsibility to be self-reliant and a willingness to sacrifice in the short-term will be required.

I HAVE A VISION that focuses on rebuilding Town infrastructure. That should be a priority.

I HAVE A VISION that does more to protect our greatest natural asset, the Great Flats Aquifer.

I HAVE A VISION of a “political” party to achieve these goals. In fact, it’s not a political party at all but a party without politics. It’s a party without $ influence. It’s a true grass roots uprising to begin to restore decision-making to the electorate. A party rooted in constitutional principles. It’s THE TEA PARTY.

Visions are only as good as the determination to realize them. The trick will be translating these visions into reality. I’m beginning to have a vision of achieving that new reality.

No comments: