Monday, March 24, 2008

Lightning Round

Easter weekend. High winds. The Woodsman returns. I’m just waiting for the first match to hit the ground.

Spring. Rain. Sump pumps working overtime. I wonder how the latest “study” is coming along. Of course, we’ll need the results before any action is taken. We’re also still awaiting a sewer district vote which will have to be organized and conducted before any decision for action is undertaken. Do you think there’ll be a shovel in the ground to provide drainage relief this year?

Grievance Day. It’s sneaking up. It will be interesting to see how many turn out to contest their still contentious assessed values especially in light of a weaker real estate market that has likely trimmed a little too. I love that our new assessor is named Mr. Surprise!

Flashing signs. Looks like there’s more to the proposed law change than originally met the eye as several business owners have expressed desire for such signs. We’ve already built in exemptions for schools, fire houses, and fraternal organizations. This looks like the evolution of spot zoning as surely waivers will be granted. I’m not losing any sleep over this one though unless my neighbor installs a flashing sign that keeps me awake.

Draper School. Charter School. Future derelict eyesore? I hope not. This could turn out to be the next hot potato in town. For those that recall, the approved charter school was met with strong resident opposition that fell on deaf ears. This one is worth watching.

Four Corners vacancy. What’s the deal? I haven’t seen anything on any agendas that pertains to the future of this building. I’d guess drugstore but the lot appears too small. Savvy move getting rid of the tenants beforehand though after what Capitol Plaza experienced by way of backlash. I’ll be sorry to see the billboards on top go. They were my favorite billboards. Maybe just a rehab is underway?

Ding! Time’s up.

No comments: