Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Technicality

A little earlier today, the candidacy of Libertarian Eric Sundwall for the 20th Congressional District race was invalidated. Although he collected upwards of 6700 signatures, well exceeding the required 3500, something on the order of 3700 signatures were called into question.

NYS Election Law is intentionally quite complicated and convoluted. It is designed, in part, to make it prohibitive for independent third-party candidates to challenge the two major parties. I never much liked that. It limits voter choice.

In this case, you have a person who would like an opportunity to be included on the ballot and from what I can tell, genuinely tried to comply with the rules. He even went to lengths to provide over double the required number of signatures. To be sure, there might very well be legitimate exclusions, but 3700? Why are the major parties afraid to have another name on the ballot?

I can’t say I’m surprised though. This type of thing has occurred in many previous elections. I am sensitive to it in my own contemplated attempt to be included on November’s ballot. I’ve read and re-read the pertinent election law. I’m pretty sure I can navigate it successfully but I’ve already been to the Board of Elections for clarification once and intend to go again at least once more. I won’t have my efforts undone on technical challenges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Why are the major parties afraid to have another name on the ballot?"

Because they are afraid of real competition. Good luck in your run!